Alternative Microsoft Office Suite replacement for Windows
Microsoft Office Suite has been the most popular Office productivity suite over past decade. Most of windows user has familiars with Microsoft office productivity suite functionality. But, Microsoft office suite doesn’t come with cheap and probably some of windows user might not affordable purchase entire Microsoft office suite for their desktop or laptop.
Beside of Microsoft office Suite, there are plenty of Microsoft Office replacement, which has start gaining office productivity suite market share slowly. The best part of Microsoft office replacement is the alternative Office suites are free, and possess similar features like Microsoft you ever need to use. Beside that, all this alternative office suite replacement includes compatibility and support for Microsoft Office file formats. This mean that the replacement Microsoft office suite able to open, read, edit and save documents, workbooks and presentations created by Microsoft Office products like Office 97-2003 formats.
Plus more, the replacement office suite can support various platform rather than just Windows and Mac OS X for Microsoft Office.
Free Alternative Office Suites desktop based replacment :
- OpenOffice.org – OpenOffice Office productivity suite that supports multi-platform like Windows, Mac and Linux. Beside that, It offers a complete basic set of office suite includes word processor, spreadsheet, presentation manager, and drawing program, with a user interface and feature set similar to other office suites. Supports the OpenDocument standard for data interchange as its default file formats, and also Microsoft Office 97-2003 formats.
- StarOffice – Also known as StarSuite in East Asia, StarOffice is a office productivity suite developed by SUN microsystem based on OpenOffice.org technology built on. StarOffice consists of StarWriter (word processor), StarCalc (spreadsheet), StarImpress (presentation program), StarDraw (drawing tool) and StarBase (database). Plus more it supports XML file format, including (as of StarOffice the OpenDocument standard, and can generate PDF and Flash formats. StarOffice can be downloaded freely via Google Pack
- IBM Lotus Symphony – IBM Lotus Symphony is a richly featured set of productivity tools that are intuitive and easy to use and provided at no charge. It consist of Documents (word processor), Spreadsheets (as name implied) and Presentations (as name implied). Supports the OpenDocument format (ODF), and Microsoft Office and Lotus SmartSuite formats. Able to export to Portable Document Format (PDF) files. Available for Windows and Linux
- GNOME Office (GO) – Consists of AbiWord (word processor), Gnumeric (spreadsheet) and GNOME-DB (database connectivity). Available for free download for Linux, Windows and Mac OS X.
- Kingsoft WPS Office – Kingsoft WPS Office is a Microsoft Office compatible suite of applications. It comprises of Writer, Spreadsheets and Presentation, all of which have a close resemblance to the familiar layout and functionality of Microsoft Office prior to 2007 version. Unfortunately the free personal edition of WPS Office only available in Simplified Chinese edition.
- AbiWord – a free word processor that supports Microsoft Word documents, OpenOffice documents, WordPerfect documents, Rich Text Format documents, HTML web pages, etc. Supported platforms include Windows, Linux, FreeBSD, and QNX. A Mac OS X port appears to be in the works.