Previously viewing visio diagramming drawing is difficult because you need Microsoft Visio diagram software installed on your computer then you just able to view the Visio file. Meanwhile, the cost of a Microsoft Visio software is expensive and not everyone can affordable to purchase it just for viewing purpose.
However, Microsoft recently released a visio viewer to assist user viewing visio diagramming drawing creation and previous versions from Visio 5.0 in Internet Explorer web browser without purchasing the entire Microsoft Visio software. According to Microsoft, this new Visio Viewer is expected to enable users to discover the advantages of using Visio drawings, charts and illustrations in a Web-based environment especially for teams that need to collaborate from different locations.
To use Visio viewer view Visio drawings is simple, all you need is double clicking the visio drawing files (visio file extension : .vsd, .vss, .vst, .vdx, .vsx, or .vtx extension) in Windows Explorer. Then Internet Explorer will open, and Visio Viewer will render the drawing in the browser window. Meanwhile, you can zoom in / out and rotate the drawing window by using toolbar buttons, keyboard shortcuts, or menu items in the shortcut menu. Plus more, you can even printing visio file, although this is limited to the portion of the drawing displayed.
Visio Viewer Other features includes:
- Pan and zoom in the drawing window by using toolbar buttons, keyboard shortcuts or menu items in the shortcut menu.
- Able to see the properties of any shape by opening the Properties and Settings dialog box, and then selecting a shape.
- Some rendering and display settings are available in the Display Settings tab of the Properties and Settings dialog box.
- Able to set drawing-layer visibility and colors in the Layer Settings tab, and annotation visibility and colors in the Markup Settings tab.
- Supports Visio binary (.vsd) and XML (.vdx) files.
Visio Viewer enables users to discover the advantages of using Visio drawings, charts, and illustrations in a Web-based environment. Visio Viewer is particularly useful for teams that need to collaborate from different locations.
So, Visio Viewer is available to download for freely and works well in most of the Microsoft Operating Systems such as Windows 7, Windows Server 2003 R2 (32-Bit x86), Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 editions, Windows Server 2008 (SP2), Windows Vista (SP1), Windows Vista (SP2) and Windows XP (SP3).