Parted Magic, a free hard disk rescue CD comes with a lot of hard disk utility functionality such as perform hard disk partitioning, hard disk data backup, hard disk cloning, hard disk encryption and data shredder purpose. This hard disk rescue CD is very useful for those can’t enter the operating system. At least, you can try to rescue data from hard drive or fix hard disk error.
This hard disk rescue CD employs with core programs of GParted and Parted to handle partitioning tasks with ease, while featuring other useful programs (e.g. Partition Image, TestDisk, fdisk, sfdisk, dd, clonezilla and ddrescue) and an outstanding set of documentation to benefit the user. Plus more, this hard disk rescue CD can supports reading various hard disk format like ext2, ext3, ext4, fat16, fat32, hfs, hfs+, jfs, linux-swap, ntfs, reiserfs, reiser4, and xfs.
Any free burning software is able to write parted magic iso image (Parted Magic hard drive rescue software) to a CD-R/CD-RW.
How to Create Hard Disk Rescue Disk – Parted Magic Live CD from ISO files:
1. Download ISO image file “pmagic-x.x.iso” from the partedmagic.com Downloads page.
2. Burn Parted Magic ISO images to bootable CD using CD burning software.
3. Set computer bios to boot first from CD / DVD Rom.
4. Then Parted Magic Live CD will boot up as below screen.
Beside that, Parted Magic hard disc rescue CD system requirement is low. Any computer above PII processor and 400MB of RAM can operate in “Live” mode.
Parted Magic Live CD Utility – Free Hard Drive Rescue Utility List:
- Partition Programs
- cfdisk – curses-based disk partition table manipulator
- fdisk – partition table manipulator
- gpart – guess PC-type hard disk partitions
- GParted – partition editor that uses libparted
- parted – partition manipulation program
- sfdisk – partition table manipulator
- Filesystem Tools
- diskdev_cmds – OSX-ported, HFS+ utilities supplying mkfs and fsck
- dosfstools – utilities to create and check MS-DOS FAT filesystems
- e2fsprogs – ext2 filesystem utilities and libraries
- FUSE – filesystem in userspace
- hfsplus – set of tools to access HFS+ filesystems
- NTFS-3g – third generation NTFS driver
- ntfsprogs – tools for doing neat things with NTFS
- reiser4progs – administration utilities for Reiser4 filesystems
- reiserfsprogs – user-level tools for ReiserFS filesystems
- xfsprogs – utilities for managing XFS filesystems
- Booting Loader Tools
- grub – GRand Unified Bootloader
- install-mbr – installs and configures a Master Boot Record manager
- lilo – LInux LOader
- ms-sys – used to create Microsoft compatible boot records
- syslinux – Linux boot loader for MS-DOS FAT filesystems
- X Utilities
- Conky – light-weight system monitor
- elemFM2 – file manager
- Firefox – www browser
- galculator – GTK+ scientific calculator
- GPicView – GTK+ image viewer
- gtk-lshw – GTK+ front-end for lshw
- ISO Master – GUI CD image editor
- Leafpad – GTK+ based simple text editor
- PCMan – file manager
- Terminal – terminal emulator with tabs and multiple windows
- Thunar – file manager for Xfce desktop environment
- Xarchiver – GTK+2 only frontend to various command line archivers
- Xfburn – CD burning GUI
- Xfce – light-weight desktop environment
- Console Utilities
- bzip2 – block-sorting file compressor
- bzip2recover – recover data from damaged bz2 files
- dcfldd – enhanced version of GNU dd
- dd – convert and copy a file
- ddrescue – does not abort on errors on the input file
- device-mapper – kernel component that supports LVM
- di – disk information utility
- diff – compares two files, showing differences line by line
- disktype – detect content format of disk or disk image
- dmraid – discover and activate software (ATA)RAID
- file – determine file type
- gzip – compress or expand files
- vhdparm – get/set ATA/SATA drive parameters
- hexedit – view and edit files in hexadecimal
- lshw – Hardware Lister
- lspci – lists PCI buses and devices in the system
- lsscsi – lists information about SCSI devices
- lsusb – lists USB devices
- mdadm – manage MD devices, aka Linux Software Raid
- myrescue – rescue still-readable data from a damaged harddisk
- nano – editor aimed to replace Pico
- partimage – utility which saves partitions to an image file
- PhotoRec – digital photo recovery
- pv – monitors the progress of data through a pipeline
- rsync – fast incremental file transfer
- safecopy – data recovery tool
- sdparm – outputs and modifies SCSI device parameters
- shred – securely delete a file
- smartctl – control and monitor utility for SMART disks
- TestDisk – partition scanner and disk recovery tool
Parted Magic – bootable Hard disk rescue cd updates:
Now, this parted magic bootable hard disk rescue cd comes with benchmarking tools you would ever need! Bonnie++, IOzone, Hard Info, System Stability Tester, mprime, and stress.
Meanwhile, Parted magic ISO files can be written on removable storage drives, which mean computer user can boot it from USB drive.
This hard disk rescue CD freeware is a powerful efficient hard disk utility tool that helps experienced users manipulate their hard drives data back.