Myows – Free Online Copyright Protection For Freelancers
The digital age has made it too easy to steal content (through downloading media or copy and pasting text that doesn’t belong to you) and it is never pleasant to find out that your hard work got stolen without your consent. Would you even know what to do in that instance?
Unfortunately, it happens to most of us freelance writers, bloggers, designers, photographers, sound producers and coders.
The good news is that a neatly designed web app called Myows.com (for MY Original WorkS) tackles this problem for free and will help you deal with infringers by issuing you with date-stamped certificates, preparing Cease and Desist letters and sending DMCA takedown notices to the perpetrator’s hosts.
How does Myows help me protect my copyright?
Let’s start with bit of background info about copyrights.
There is a misconception about copyright: you do not NEED to register it as you obtain copyright automatically as soon as your creativity is reduced to material form (ie, it’s not just an idea in your head).
That being said, the onus is often on the creator to prove that he created a particular logo, blog article, picture or jingle – for instance the hosting companies of websites that display pirated content are by law obligated to remove that content if they are provided with sufficient proof that there is infringement. A Myows certificate is amongst other things a very good proof that will speed up the removal of copies of your work.
How does Myows free copyright protection work?
Myows is at the forefront of online user-friendliness and has been used and recommend by heavyweights like Themeforest, FlickR, NewGrounds, Envato, DeviantArt, PlagiarismToday or Popular Science. So why not join the movement and give it a try?
It works as follows:
- Open an account for free (you can even use your Facebook credentials to make it easier – it takes less than 15 seconds!)
- Upload the file you created- any kind of file (jpg, pdf, mp3, mov etc…).
- Your OW (Original Work) is instantly datestamped, stored, and a certfificate is available for download.
- You are given a unique deterrent graphic to display on your website, warning would-be thieves that you are copyright-savvy.
- You can then upload supporting documents (such as sketches and mockups) that document your creative process and keep all your files in one place.
- Then you can apply licences to your work (Creative Commons or Custom Licences)
- Finally, if you find copies of your OW, you can open a copyright infringement case and Myows will guide you step-by-step to resolve your dispute according to DMCA guidelines (over 70 disputes have already been solved through Myows).
The team behind this unique Myows – Copyright Management App is made of young, helpful and dynamic creatives (and an Intellectual Property lawyer that ensures everything is legally-sound) who wish to make a difference and put an end to the online piracy that hurts us Freelancers, so we can all sleep better at night knowing our Original Works are safe and protected!