AVG Antivirus Free considers the best free antivirus solutions for Windows PCs. Recently AVG Technologies just released the latest AVG Antivirus Free 2012 for the public. On this latest Antivirus free 2013 edition, home user will expecting new and improved security features as well as a new user interface. The new AVG Antivirus free has a brand new interface, which allows users to quickly enable and configure the antivirus, which runs out-of-the-box when you install it.
Overall AVG Antivirus Free 2013 has been improve a lot compare AVG anti virus free 2012. The improvement are as below:
- Reduced footprint while running when compared to the 2012 release
- Better security detection algorithm
- File reputation, a cloud based service that improves the program’s detection capabilities
- The program is a bit heavy on the notification side of things. You can disable some or all notifications, e.g. scan finished, under Options > Advanced Settings. Here you can also disable the boot time improvement notifications that you may see on reboots or new starts of the system.
The new features on AVG Antivirus Free 2013 are WiFi Guard and Do not Track module. WiFi Guard features can help home computer user avoid rogue Wifi access points used by hackers by alerting you when your PC tries to access such a network. Do not track is another security feature that collects information about ad networks, social buttons and web analytics that you come across on the Internet, giving you options to block some or all of the scripts from your browser to protect yourself from being tracked by the scripts.
The bad thing about AVG Antivirus Free 2013 is the installer contains offers to install AVG Secure Search (AVG Linkscanner has been discontinued and replaced by AVG Secure Search) as the default search provider and the AVG Security toolbar in supported web browsers. To avoid this, select custom install and make sure the items are unchecked before you proceed with a click on next. Plus more, You do find advertisement for the company’s own Antivirus 2013 and Internet Security scattered throughout the interface.
Summary AVG Antivirus Free 2013 Features include:
- AVG Antivirus
- AVG Email Scanner
- AVG LinkScanner Surf Shield
- AVG Social Networking Protection
- AVG Do Not Track
- AVG Identity Protection
- AVG WiFi Guard
- AVG Turbo Scan
- Game Mode
- AVG Smart Scanner
- AVG Free Support
- Easy Interface
Some of the AVG security module that running on computer background:
- avgcsrva.exe – the core scanning module, server part
- avgemca.exe – the email scanner
- avgidsagent.exe – the identity protection service
- avgnsa.exe – AVG online shield service and resident shield service
- avgui.exe – user interface, only process running under the user account
- avgwdsvc.exe – watchdog service
However, most of these AVG security modules are using smaller footprint on your memory which ensures that its not your antivirus that eats up the free memory leaving less for more important foreground programs.
AVG Antivirus Free 2013 also has complete support for Windows 8.
AVG Antivirus Free 2013 is available as a web installer and offline installer. The web installer has a size of 4 Megabytes and will download the rest of the installation files from the Internet during installation. The offline installer is available as a 32-bit and 64-bit version, with a size of 118 Megabytes and 130 Megabytes respectively, that includes all components and does not require an Internet connection during installation. Both versions can be downloaded on this page.