XWindows Dock or XWD, a free windows dock launcher that provides Mac OS X docker visual style on your computer. This Windows OSX dock comes with some super cool features, more than enough to compete with hugely successful RockDock.
Meanwhile, you can enjoy comprehensive graphics affects customization on XWindows OSX dock such as reflections, transparency, shadow, blur, etc. Beside that, you can perform PNG icons size configurable, multiple transition effects, overlays, multiple zoom levels, shadows, reflections, and dock in 2D or 3D option on XWindows Dock. Plus more, it does not require a lot of computer resources and its optimized for memory usage.
However, there is limitation on XWindows dock which it does NOT support “Drag and drop” feature only. I believe the developer will fix this problem soon.
XWindows Dock Features:
- Opacity and blur of reflections.
- Panel opacity, hiding and showing time
- Space between panel and screen border.
- Use or create your own skins for 2D or 3D dock.
- Shows indicators of running applications.
- New skin format, now a skin can be created even without specifying some PNG files.
Updates 1: The latest XWindows Dock is version 2.02 includes few excellent features for users such as stack improvements and bouncing effect.
What’s new in XWindows Dock version 2.0.2:
- Introducing bounce effect for icons and stacks.
- Now you can see previews of photos and movies right in the stacks. You can even scroll movies frames using scroll wheel on your mouse.
- Added support for custom stack icon.
- Bounce effect will notify you about any kind of changes that are happening in the stack’s folder.
- Also XWindows Dock will notify you about all flashing windows in the taskbar. This can be favorite instant messaging client (e.g. Pidgin or Miranda), Skype, FTP-client and so on.
- Now dock looks much better with smoother borders in 3D mode.
- Developer API updated to 0.0.0.2 version. Now developers can use bouncing effect for their plugins.
- And, as usual, XWindows Dock become more stable and fast.
Updates 2: XWindows Dock has released the version 2.0.3 includes several few features.
What’s new in XWindows Dock version 2.0.3
- Screen reservation on Windows XP issue fixed.
- Multi-monitor configuration issue fixed.
- New API allows to simply control the application’s icon in the dock. It can be implemented with any programming language, by default it’s C# (.net required).
- Plugin manager for plugins developed with new API added.
- Feature: popup dock when mouse is over when dock is not over all windows
- New application icons are added automatically if they are not in the dock yet. This feature is experimental and disabled by default.
- Some compatibility with x64 Windows builds. Now without notifications added.
- You’ll get 2 great plugins with the new Plugin manager : new stack container with fan/grid views, realistic scrolling and ability to navigate through folders. Another one, simple GMail checker, that simply shows unread email count in the dock (direct internet access and .net framework required).