Windows Image Backup Software, a Windows disaster recovery backup software that backups all your data completely such as cloning your current state Windows OS data, Windows driver data, Windows program, program configurations and all personal data such as photo, document, music and email into single files called as “disk image backup” file.
Disk image backup file is very useful especially for future Windows restoration or migrate to new hardware. If you choose to restore back your Windows from disk image backup files, it’s a full working Windows restoration. This mean you could save you a lot of time and money to re-install and re-configure setting on the Windows, program, folder, files and data location.
If you’re Windows 8 user, there is a standard Windows 8 full image backup features ready. It called as ” System Image Backup”. More info: “how to use System Image Backup at Windows 8“
Besides that, i also gather a list of third party Windows image backup software can perform better image backup functionality compare to default Windows image backup features.
Windows Image Backup Software List:
Macrium Reflect Free
Macrium Reflect Free, is a most reliable free Windows image backup software and disaster recovery software for your personal computer. It can create full Windows images to backup your precious data, photo, office documents, music and email. Plus more, It utilize Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service to ensure ‘point in time’ data accuracy.
The only difference compare to paid version are incremental backups, email notifications, scripting and password encryption.
The latest Macrium Reflect Free version supports Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2003 and Windows Server 2008, both in 32- and 64-bit editions.
Acronis True Image WD Edition and Seagate DiscWizard
Acronis True image WD edition actually is not free version. But you’re using Western Digital or Seagate hard drive. You’re entitled to use their special version of Acronis True Image.
Overall Key Features of Acronis True Image WD Edition Software:
- Drive Cloning – Copies the source drive to a new WD drive, leaving all data on the source drive.
- Drive Migration – Erase the source drive after the new WD drive has been imaged.
- Drive Deployment – Enables users to prepare a WD drive so that selected folders or partitions can be excluded from the destination image.
- Drive Image Backup – The long-term usage of the Drive Kit software will be to provide full drive image backups of a source drive at any time. Backup drive images will be stored as a file, which can be copied to any direct attached drive, network attached storage drive or optical media (CD/DVD).
- Drive Image Recovery – The Recovery Manager enables users to restore a drive image from a direct or network attached drive. The Recovery Manager can also either erase just a portion of the drive to be used for the restored drive image, or all of the previous OS.
- Create a Bootable Standalone Recovery Manager – With the Drive Kit software, users can create a bootable ISO image file, which contains the WD Drive Kit Standalone Recovery Manager software.
- Recover a Drive Image from the Bootable Recovery Manager Software – The bootable Standalone Recovery Manager enables users to recover a drive image from either a CD/DVD drive, a direct attached drive, or a network attached drive.
Acronis True Image supporting operating system are Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8 / 8.1.
Compare to Acronis True Image WD edition and Macrium Reflect Free, Aomei Backupper is the most comprehensive free Windows image backup software. It offers tons of image backup features such as differential and incremental backups, file / folder backup, disk cloning and password encryption. When backup disk images being created, you can be split into multiple smaller ones or proper sizes to fit storage media. Delete a backup task or together with its backup image files.
Besides that, Aomei Backupper also act as bootable rescue media creator for data backup and disaster recovery in case of Windows cannot boot. It is also available for backing up to shared folder and restore from network under bootable environment.
The best part of Aomei Backupper Standard is completely free for personal and commercial use.
AOMEI backupper got two versions, one which works on Windows XP – 8.1, the other only works on Windows 7 – 8.1, but is 40 MB smaller in size.
Note: For disaster recovery it’s always essential that you store the backup files on another drive completely and not in a separate partition on the same drive. If you backup partition C onto partition D for example, and they are both on the same physical hard drive, if the drive fails you will lose both partitions at the same time, and that includes the only backup you might have of partition C. This could be a costly and painful mistake.